‘That voting in
Who is your audience? In the state of
How much does your audience know or care about the issue? Compulsory voting has been in effect for many years, and is part of the Australian tradition. Thus, it can be assumed, that those who are 18 and above, would have experienced the necessity of going to sanctioned voting booths. Those who believe that compulsory voting is a waste of time and an oppression of democratic freedom or those who believe that voting is a necessary factor for being a democratic would be interested in this kind of question/issue
What is your audience’s current attitude toward your issue? The opinion of this issue varies among people. Those who have a strong interest in politics are most likely to be supportive of compulsory voting. Whilst those who have know knowledge or interest for ‘prime ministers’ or ‘Victorian premiers’ would find that compulsory voting a complete waste of time, being in support that ‘voting should be optional’
What will be your audience’s likely objections to your argument? Those who are objectionable to this statement may argue:
- That compulsory voting has been around for generations and is an Australian tradition. To make voting optional would be ‘Un-Australian’
- Compulsory voting would allow people to be more aware of the realm of Australian politics. This would increase their general knowledge.
- If compulsory voting was not implemented, may result in ‘unfavourable turnouts,’ this the most appropriate leaders would not be chosen
- ‘Unfavourable turnouts’ may lead insufficient opinions on political leaders.
- That all of our rights are limited in a marginal way.
Finally, what values, beliefs or assumptions about the world do you and your audience share? Common links with the audience
- Our age group: Those who are in the ‘younger generation’ may feel that voting is unnecessary and a waste of time
- That politics play a major role in our lives since we are a democratic country, ‘where people rule.’ Thus, it is important for people to aware of politics so democracy is implemented properly
- That our rights in a democratic country are preserved; we should not be forced to do things that we have no interest in.